Sunday, September 6, 2009

Seeds in the soil...





My peas (above) and snow peas are shooting and they look so yummy, I could just eat them. At last the carrots are finally coming up as well. I planted my second round of lettuce and carrots today. I decided to wait two weeks between each round, to space the picking when they bear veggies. Notice I say WHEN and not IF they bear veggies.
I had a lot of fun planting seeds today. I put in cabbages, chives, basil, corn, marigolds and some cosmos. I need more containers to plant the rest of my veggies!
The space beside my old shed will have to be prepared before I can plant the beans and broad beans. I can't decide whether to use containers like I have in the rest of the veggie garden, or make a square foot garden instead. It will depend on whether I can find the timber at a price I'm willing to pay, preferably used and free!
My girls are still feeling very put out to be fenced out of the veggie garden. Kira likes to be queen of the whole yard, but she also thinks that part of her job is to dig up and inspect any part of the garden that I plant. To make their lives even more stressful, our guinea pig Piper had three babies yesterday. The girls don't like those piggies stealing my attention. I moved Piper and the babies into the veggie garden area because Kira was just obsessing about them, she is such a control freak. I have no idea where she gets that from.
Our original guinea pig was called Pumpkin. Her son and daughter were named Piper and Pedro. Now we have three babies and I'm trying to stick to the 'P' names. I think we have two girls and a boy, and I have called one Petal because she is just a sweet little thing and so soft. I'm not sure what to call the other two.

'Petal' 1 day old

Next weekend my Man will be helping me to get the Grosse Lisse tomato seeds into the soil. I want to plant my biggest crop ever. The recipes and preserving ideas I'm learning reading all the amazing blogs in here are such an inspiration. In past years, I have only ever grown enough tomatoes to eat and fill my freezer with sauce. This year I would like to grow capsicums (peppers) and chilli's so I can make salsa as well. My Man is growing a nice crop of garlic, so I will need to find out how to preserve that, too.

The mandarins are still covering the tree, as though I haven't already picked a hundred of them. They are so delicious and the guinea pigs just love them. The girls beg for a segment of mandarin when I peel them for the piggies, but unlike the piggies, they never actually eat them.

Thanks for visiting. x

I love hiding in my garden.

2 comments:

  1. oh, Petal is so adorable! My children always raised hamsters. One can get very attached to those furry little babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right, AG. They are little angels and they make us smile.

    ReplyDelete