Sunday, June 28, 2009

A New Compost Bin

Hi there, welcome to my blog.
I've been working on my composting this week. I have this huge compost pile down in the back corner of the yard where we've just tossed the grass clippings and kitchen scraps. It has a weed growing all over it, which I will chip and add to the pile next weekend.
We bought a black plastic composting bin from Bunnings this week, and we've set it up in a sunny spot on top of some newspaper. Of course, the dog was intrigued by this addition to 'her' yard and felt the need to dig around the base! I have so much trimming to do around the garden, we'll have plenty of chip to add to the new bin.
I have been reading a lot of gardening blogs and I'm becoming addicted to them. I learned that I can put guinea pig manure on the compost because they are herbivores. I'm learning a lot about keeping chooks (chickens) but I'm still not ready to commit to that.
I love hiding in my garden :)

2 comments:

  1. Good to be reading about a novice composter; if you've any questions please feel free to ask me!

    I'm looking forward to seeing how the garden develops and your blog progresses!
    John

    ReplyDelete